Whilst bearing in mind the Covid-19 restrictions remaining in place, our opening hours over the Easter holidays, should you need us, are:
If you require emergency assistance outside the above hours, please contact UCD Pet Emergency Hospital on 01-2609920. Further details are contained on our page 'After Hours Emergencies'
Happy Easter to all our clients and patients.
We would just like to remind everyone to keep Easter eggs and all chocolate away from your pets, there may be a lot of Easter egg hunts now that we are all staying at home.
Please confine your pets when there is chocolate outside as they will probably find it before you or your children as their sense of smell is much greater then ours.
Below is some information which explains why chocolate is so dangerous for our pets.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. While rarely fatal, chocolate ingestion can result in significant illness.
Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical called Theobromine, as well as caffeine. Theobromine is the predominant toxin in chocolate and is very similar to caffeine. Both chemicals are also used medicinally as a diuretic, heart stimulant, blood vessel dilator, and a smooth muscle relaxant. Dogs cannot metabolize Theobromine and caffeine as well as people can. This makes them more sensitive to the chemicals’ effects.
The amount of toxic Theobromine varies with the type of chocolate. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to dogs.
Cooking chocolate and gourmet dark chocolate are highly concentrated and contain 130-450 mg of Theobromine per ounce.
Milk chocolate only contains about 44-58 mg/ounce.
White chocolate barely poses any threat of chocolate poisoning with only 0.25 mg of Theobromine per ounce of chocolate (that said, dogs can still get sick from all that fat and sugar, which can cause pancreatitis).
To put this in perspective, a medium-sized dog weighing 22kg dog would only need to eat 1 ounce of cooking chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate, to potentially show signs of poisoning.
Therefore, the best advice is to keep all chocolates well out of sight and reach from your Pets.
If your Pet does manage to get some chocolate and you are concerned, please do not hesitate to contact us and we can advise over the phone what treatment is required, which will depend on what they have managed to eat.
We carry a wide range of dog and cat food in the Clinic. If you would like to give your pet some treats that are safe for them this Easter time, please feel free to contact us.